Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fresh eggs!

New eggs! There is one just above the tip of the pin. Once you see it, you can see them in adjacent cells too.

Opened up the hive today for a peek--it has been two weeks since the merge, and I wanted to check on the progress of the new queen. Throughout the hive there is evidence of new comb--more upstairs than downstairs. In one of the upstairs frames, there was a wild piece of double thick burr comb that I removed with my hive tool. Upon taking it inside, I was able to look more closely and see that there were new eggs in there! There was one little egg exactly at the bottom apex of each cell (perfect formation). This is evidence that the new queen has been laying! Delight!! I hope she will not miss these few that I accidentally stole, and that I didn't disturb her while cleaning up in the hive. Downstairs there is also uncapped brood, which is great news. I didn't see eggs in the frames, but I had a tough time looking through my veil and there were huge numbers of bees roaming over the frames. Today was my steamiest inspection yet--90 degrees and sunny, wearing jeans and the bee suit, smoker in tow, and lifting out some very heavy frames loaded up with honey. Who knew that beekeeping was such a good workout?


Directions from Joe were to add a honey super once all 20 frames have been drawn out. There are still at least a half dozen frames that need more comb, so I'll give the hive two more weeks before my next inspection. Opening up the hive is disruptive to the workers, and it is best not to do it more than is necessary--imagine each room of your 20-room house being picked up into the air and inspected by a giant, one at a time. Unnerving, even without the occasional bee squish.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks for posting - I really do enjoy reading about your bees!

    ReplyDelete