Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 3: Queen has been released

This is not my cage, but you get the idea.
Opened up the hive quickly this morning to see if the queen had left her cage. It was in the low 40s, so I tried to be quick, but I was so very curious. Separating the center frames with my shiny new hive tool, I was able to wiggle out the cage. There were three workers inside, nibbling at the remains of the candy plug, but the queen was out. I closed the hive back up, and crossed my fingers that I didn't squeeze the queen to death. I certainly squished a few workers putting back on the inner cover--but I am counting on the 9,000 plus bees remaining to keep the queen warm. Unfortunately, when on my own in the hive it is tough to take photos...more to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment